AMERICORPS CONNECTICUT PROGRAMS
What is AmeriCorps?
- AmeriCorps (pronounced A-me-ri-core; the “p” and the “s” are silent) is a national service program designed to strengthen citizenship and the ethic of service by engaging thousands of Americans on a full-or part-time basis to help communities to address their toughest challenges. The Corporation for National and Community Service (CNCS) administers AmeriCorps at the federal level and works in partnership with states to develop service programs and create a community-based national service network. For more information about AmeriCorps click here (Add CNCS WEBLINK: https://www.nationalservice.gov/programs/americorps/what-americorps)
- AmeriCorps is made up of three programs: AmeriCorps*State and National, AmeriCorps*VISTA, and AmeriCorps*National Civilian Community Corps (NCCC).
- For nearly 55 years, AmeriCorps*VISTA members have been helping bring individuals and communities out of poverty. Members serve full-time for a year in nonprofits, public agencies and faith-based organizations throughout the country, working to fight illiteracy, improve health services, create businesses, increase housing opportunities, or bridge the digital divide. AmeriCorps*NCCC is a 10-month, full-time residential program for men and women between the ages of 18 and 24. For more information about AmeriCorps VISTA click here (Add CNCS link: https://www.nationalservice.gov/programs/americorps/americorps-programs/americorps-vista)
- AmeriCorps*NCCC combines the best practices of civilian service with the best aspects of military service, including leadership and team building. Members serve in teams of 10 to 15 members. Priority is given to projects in public safety, public health and disaster relief. Teams are based at one of four campuses across the country but are sent to work on short-term projects in neighboring states. For more information about AmeriCorps NCCC click here (add CNCS link: https://www.nationalservice.gov/programs/americorps/americorps-programs/americorps-nccc)
What do AmeriCorps members do?
- Last year more than1,800 Americans of all ages and backgrounds met local needs, strengthened communities, and expanded economic opportunity through national service in Connecticut. AmeriCorps members are preparing today's students for tomorrow's jobs, reducing crime and reviving cities, connecting veterans to services, fighting the opioid epidemic, helping seniors live independently, and rebuilding communities after disasters. Service members served at more than 400locations across Connecticut, including schools, food banks, homeless shelters, health clinics, youth centers, veteran’s facilities, and other nonprofit and faith-based organizations.
Want to know more about AmeriCorps?